Valentine’s Day can be a difficult holiday for single folks. Just when you recover from the holiday season where family members are asking about when you’re going to find “the one” and settle down, you have to make it through a day exclusively meant to celebrate love, romance and couples. It can feel depressing and even cruel. Restaurants are crowded with dates trying to impress each other, and the whole thing has become a commercialized Hallmark holiday.
But today is different. It’s Single Awareness Day, a celebration of everyone NOT in a committed relationship. It is a time to love yourself and also applaud love in all forms, including the love between friends and family.
Observe Today with Humor, Not Sadness
Even though the acronym for Singles Awareness Day is SAD, this holiday is not gloomy, unhappy or about self-pity. Rather, it’s a chance to announce to the world that you are single and happy to be so. It’s also a way to remind romantic couples that they don’t need another person to “complete” you.
So turn this day into a celebration, and remember there are many great advantages about being independent and unattached, from saving money to having more free time. Also, you don’t need to be in a relationship to celebrate life, since the key to happiness begins with being happy with yourself.
How to Celebrate
As with many other holidays, there are several ways to celebrate today. First of all, if you’re not single, reach out to your unattached friends or have your own celebration without your significant other. If you are single, consider the following:
- Buy yourself flowers (or send flowers to another single friend).
- Whether you hit up a bar or have a Netflix marathon in your pajamas, it’s completely appropriate to indulge in a little bit of wine or booze to lighten the mood.
- Take a class. Whether you prefer cooking, painting, fitness, something spiritual or a professional skill, today is the perfect day to invest in yourself.
- Take or plan a solo trip. Travelling alone isn’t scary if you plan ahead of time or visit a fun place.
- Go shopping and splurge on yourself.
- Go watch a movie or attend a concert.
- Get a massage, facial, pedicure or some other form of luxurious pampering.
- Indulge or chocolate or ice cream.
- Check out a dating website or app. Yes, you’re happy to be single, but there’s no harm in looking.
Of course, #10 on the list is our personal favorite: Go out to eat a nice dinner, or have a pizza delivered. The actor Bill Murray once said, “Every pizza is a personal pizza if you try hard and believe in yourself.” So place your pizza order today, or come on in to try a build-your-own pasta bowl.